Last updated on March 9th, 2019
What is a JUUL? Do the Nicotine Salts Make It the Most Satisfying ECig?
There's no denying it, the JUUL is getting worldwide attention. Positive or negative, it has been called the most “cigalike” vape pen on the market, and Nielsen reported that JUUL Labs have become the top selling vape company in the US.
The tobacco companies aren't happy about that because many former smokers are say that the JUUL has helped them quit smoking.
Wired Magazine raved about it, saying the JUUL “might just be the first great e-cig”. That’s saying a lot when you consider there are thousands of vape products on the market.
There have also been other noted reviewers who raved about this little ecig.
The editor of TechCrunch said:
What I discovered, was that despite JUUL’s tiny size, it’s really satisfying…. and a powerhouse. My first puff took me by surprise.
The majority of JUUL's flavor pods come in only one nicotine strength, 5%. Wow. Most ecigs top out at 3.5%. The 50mg's is all part of the company's unique e-liquid formula that uses Nicotine Salts instead of the widely used free-base nicotine formula.
JUUL's Nicotine Salts is the patented formula designed by parent company, PAX labs. It is very different from the free-base nicotine formulas used by tobacco companies, and yes, by most e-liquid companies too.
The JUUL nicotine salts ingredient uses the same type of nicotine found in tobacco leaves. It's actually the naturally occurring acid found in the tobacco plant giving you a cigarette-like nicotine delivery without the highly volatile dangers of free-base nicotine.
The company claims the delivery is more stable and more concentrated. I know that if you are going to vape a nicotine level of 5%, in order to avoid a terribly harsh vape the nicotine had better be in the form of nicotine salts. It also avoids free-base nicotine.
So What Is Free-Base Nicotine?
Nicotine occurs naturally in tobacco plants as either an acid or a base. The base form is called free-base nicotine. It's used in cigarettes and is volatile because it is absorbed very quickly into the lungs. Tobacco companies use ammonia to “freebase” the nicotine in smoke. Yet another good reason to give up cigarettes.
Cigarette-Like, Easy to Use Compact Design
If you're looking for portability, you'll like JUUL. The entire ecig, including the compact, safe battery is small and light weight. It kind of looks like a small USB drive.
This ecig certainly won't give you pocket bulge. Ladies will so like the fact that it fits easily into a small purse, and compared to larger vaporizers it's very discreet. Nice for vaping in public. I also like rectangular shape. Hey, it never rolls off the table.
If you're wondering if a JUUL battery has every exploded, the answer is NO. This is one of the safest ecigs you can buy.
Wonder if JUUL Causes Cancer? The answer is no.
Pop in Cartridges Called “PODS”
Instead of cartridges or tanks, the JUUL uses flavor pods that snap into the top of the battery. The pods hold 0.7mL of e-liquid which gives you approximately 200 puffs. That's about what you get from 1 pack of cigarettes.
Currently there are 8 pod flavors – Virginia tobacco, (pretty good), Classic Tobacco, Mint, (true to its name), Menthol, Fruit (ok if you like a sweet vape), Creme (custardy), Cucumber and Mango (my personal favorite). Keep in mind, high nicotine tends to add a spiciness to e-liquids, which actually tones down the super sweet flavors of similar e-juices.
Ordering Your JUUL
The Starter Kit comes in a simple box containing
•1 x rechargeable battery
•1 x Multi pod 4-pack
•1 year device warranty
JUUL Vapor FACTS, PROs and CONs
- For a small cig-alike, the JUUL has little to fault.
- You do have to get used to that first inhalation which can take you by surprise! That said, the nicotine content has been a game changer. Many smokers find this little vape pen to be one of the most effective cigarette alternatives.
- As for the patented nicotine salts formula, you'll have to decide for yourself whether it makes for a safer ecig. I do know that all parts of the JUUL are compliant to international and US safety and quality standards like RoHS and EMC, and undergo extensive testing and inspection.
- Vaping is a pleasure, incredibly satisfying and very stealth-like.
- If you remove the pod and pop it back too many times, it can get loose. You just have tap the top of the pod to get a better connection.
- Pods are tiny, so don't expect them to last more than 2-3 days. Of course, you may vape less with JUUL’s nicotine formula. Pods orders can be costly, but the company has an auto-ship program that sends a free pod pack on your fifth deliver. Free Shipping too.
- The battery is easy to charge on a little USB charger, and because it's small, it charges quickly.
Conclusion: At just under 4″ long and weighing less than an ounce, this little beauty is the closest thing to an actual cigarette. That's my experience. One thing is for sure – there's a strong likelihood you'll never feel like smoking again.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SIMILAR PRODUCT CHECK OUT THE KILO 1K PORTABLE POD VAPE.